10 things to do with these plump, creamy, heart-healthy darlings:
1. Guacamole, duh. Check out this step-by-step demo from Michael Ruhlman, with a useful technical tip (macerating raw shallots and garlic in acid to mellow them out) thrown in.
2. Add slices on top of fish tacos or burgers.
3. Add a big spoonful to your next salad — I’m partial to avocado chunks in a Southwestern salad of chicken, greens, corn, and black beans with a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette.
4. A friend recently cooked me dinner and used an avocado-wasabi puree as a sauce for some stir-fried vegetables and brown rice. I thought that was pretty neat.
5. Along the lines of #4, whip some avocados to spread on sandwiches or incorporate into a dip.
6. Add avocados to your eggs: scrambled eggs, omelets, breakfast sandwiches are all fair game. Poach some eggs and blend avocados with lemon juice and a dash of cayenne for an unconventional hollandaise.
7. Grill avocado halves and enjoy with a sprinkle of salt and wedges of lime. And maybe some cornbread, too.
8. Make goodies your vegan friends can love.
9. Make like the Hawaiians and whip up a refreshing summertime smoothie.
10. My final suggestion, thanks to Iron Chef America, from which I learned that anything –chiles, fish, bacon– can be incorporated into this classic American dessert: ice cream!