While I can eat scores of raw red cabbage tossed in olive oil and balsamic, sauteing it provides a nice and easy change of pace. Much more mellow flavor, and a little butter never hurt anyone.
Sauteed red cabbage
–serves 2-3 as a side–
1/2 red cabbage head, chopped finely or shredded
1 small onion, thinly sliced
3 or 4 tbsp butter (or your choice of oil)
couple cloves o’ garlic, diced
1. let butter melt in hot pan until foamy and on the verge of browning.
2. add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 mins.
3. toss in garlic and then cabbage.
4. cook cabbage, stirring frequently, until desired done-ness (i like it cooked through but still crunchy).
5. serve – makes about 4 servings.